Hey guys! My name is Alexandra, and I’m the creator of vegandra.com, a website devoted to delicious vegan recipes and lifestyle tips. Abby was amazing enough to allow me to write this guest post, so I hope you all enjoy 🙂 If you do, please check out my blog, and see what other goodies I’ve shared!
So, lemons. Kinda hard to use in cooking, because the flavor has the potential to be too overbearing and sour. But, using the zest gives all the flavor of the lemon without the sourness!
The shortbread base here is super simply (just flour, powdered sugar, and coconut oil), but is perfect to let the lemon flavor through to be the star of the show! These bars are simply, light, and refreshing. Give them a try!!
For the crust
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbs. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 powdered sugar
- 1 tbs. water
For the filling
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs. powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tbs. flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl to form a dough.
- Press dough into a greased baking pan and bake for 7 minutes.
- While base is baking, use a hand mixer to beat together ingredients for the filling.
- Pour filling on top of base, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set to cool (can be cooled in the refrigerator if you’re really hungry!).
- Cut up and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Enjoy 🙂
Much love, Abby & Alexandra